It is the 21st century and the Software-IT industry is booming with career opportunities. Obviously, you would want a piece of it too! However, it appears that you did not choose Maths during your 12th studies. Don’t worry! Software engineering without maths is possible. But, AICTE and UGC-recognised undergraduate degrees such as B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering require Maths and Chemistry as mandatory subjects. Nevertheless, some alternatives reach the same destination, with a little more hard work and a lot more passion! Forgot to choose maths as an elective during secondary school? Fret Not! There’s always a way around it for those who wish to achieve more. However, you have to hustle a little harder than your peers.
Following are ways you can enter the world of software engineering without maths with a little extra effort,
All Streams: Humanities, Medical, & Commerce
- Students can pursue a BSc.-C.S. programme from a university like the Chanḍigaṛh University, Punjab which allows students from all streams (Commerce, Medical, Non-Medical, & Humanities) to join the programme. Later, this could be followed by an MSc.-C.S./I.T. or a regular/lateral entry M.C.A. or a lateral entry to the BTech.-C.S./I.T., all of which could be followed by an MTech.-C.S./I.T.
- Students can complete the B.C.A. programmes from universities such as Amity University & Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (& its other campuses) which allow students from any stream to join these programmes, these could be followed by an MSc.-C.S./I.T. or a regular/lateral entry M.C.A. (lateral entry to the BTech.-C.S./I.T. is not possible after B.C.A.), all of which could be followed by an MTech.-C.S./I.T.
- Additionally, ‘Liberal Arts’ universities and programs in India allow students from any stream to select a major & a minor in any subject regardless of the student’s stream in Senior Secondary. These include Ashoka University, Sonepat, Haryana & FLAME School of Liberal Education, Puṇe, Maharashtra. Students can also explore Kalvium’s program of Liberal Engineering in Computer Science, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Lastly, students can opt for a Diploma in Engineering (3 years) & subsequently seek lateral entry to the 2nd year of the 4-year BTech./B.E.-C.S./I.T. This could later be followed by an MTech./M.E.-C.S./I.T.
Commerce: Software Engineering Without Maths
- Students can pursue a BSc.-I.T. programme from universities such as Amity University which allows Commerce students to join this programme. Students can later follow it up with an MSc.-C.S./I.T. or a regular/lateral entry M.C.A. or a lateral entry to the BTech.-C.S./I.T., all of which could be followed by an MTech.-C.S./I.T.
- Students may complete any undergraduate degree with mathematics as a subject in their course of study to be eligible for an M.C.A. (regular & NOT LATERAL ENTRY). An example of this is the BCom. (H or P) which has mathematics as a subject. Subsequently, B.Com. graduates are eligible for an M.C.A.
*Kindly note that the mentioned eligibility criteria and study pathway may vary depending on the university and program of choice.
What’s the Verdict of Software Engineering Without Maths?
There is a pool of colleges or universities to choose from for software engineering without maths. Various universities follow different entrance examinations and eligibility criteria. To read more, visit “Which Undergraduate Degree do I Choose for Software Engineering Without Maths?“